This is a remake of a higher calorie bread we make each year. Although I did not make them side by side, I really don't think there's much difference. This is something I would easily serve to someone without telling them it was lower cal! I make them in mini loaf pans (~3.5" x 5.5"), so I'm really not sure what the cooking time would be for a regular loaf pan. Oh yes, and the picture is of a couple of frozen slices. I forgot to take a picture of the bread when it was cooling.
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 Tb vegetable oil
1/2 cup splenda brown sugar mix
1/2 cup skim milk (I use dry powder, reconstituted)
8 oz grated zucchini
Mix all the previous ingredients into a large bowl. This is now all your wet ingredients together. In another bowl mix your dry ingredients. They are:
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 oz soy flour (defatted)
1 Tb gluten flour
1 Tb ground ginger
1 Tb ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
Once dry ingredients are combined mix into wet ingredients. Do not over mix! Stir in:
4 oz dried cherries
4 oz chopped pecans
Divide into baking pans (I use 5) and bake in preheated 350F oven for 35 mins (or until tester comes out clean).
Notes: I've played with this a couple of times and I think this version worked quite well. The thing to watch for is batter consistency. The first time I tried it I could tell it was way too thick, but wasn't smart enough to thin it down. That's why there is now 1/2 cup skim milk in it. Oh, and just for fun, the original recipe had 4800 calories in it. There's a lot you could do to cut calories more in this (for example the cherries and pecans are 1152cals (10g protein, 83g fat, 109g carbs, 14g fiber). I chose to leave them in on purpose though.
Calories (total): 3321 (124g protein, 116g fat, 434g carbs, 45g fiber)
Calories (per oz, based on 48oz yield): 69 (3g protein, 2g fat, 9g carbs, 1g fiber)

No comments:
Post a Comment